Dean Francis has blocks of time for student appointments set aside each weekday. Morning and afternoon slots are made available throughout the week to accommodate students’ schedules. If you’d like an appointment with the dean, please contact Terry (firstname.lastname@example.org; 203-432-0744), and she will schedule you appropriately.
A Dean’s Excuse is an electronic form signed by the residential college dean that authorizes the postponement of written work or exams during term-time.
There are three kinds of late or postponed work: (1) work late during term time; (2) work incomplete at the end of term; and (3) postponed final examinations. Instructors of courses may, during term time, give permission to make up late or missed work, provided that such work is submitted before the end of term. Please keep in mind that if you do not feel comfortable discussing your situation with your professor you should contact the Dean directly.
It is important to be aware of your instructors’ authority to postpone work, since a Dean’s Excuse can be issued only in the following instances, which are outlined in the Academic Regulations of Yale College, here: http://catalog.yale.edu/ycps/academic-regulations/completion-of-course-work:
- Incapacitating illness or incapacitating condition of any kind
- Death of a family member
- A comparable emergency
- Observance of religious holy days
- Participation in varsity intercollegiate athletic events
Dean’s Excuses must be requested promptly. In any of the five cases above, then, notify me as soon as you are able via email or a call to the Dean’s office.
Because the language of the academic regulations is necessarily efficient and judicious, it cannot account for every situation. And so if you think you may qualify for a Dean’s Excuse, but you’re not certain whether your circumstances fit under one of these categories, please set up an appointment to talk with me as soon as possible.
It is also important to know that Dean’s Excuses can only extend deadlines: they cannot excuse absences, whatever the reason. If you must miss class, it is your responsibility to notify your instructor.
Work Incomplete at the End of Term
The rules governing the postponement of work at the end of term are different than those governing the postponement of work during the term. Only residential college deans can authorize extensions for work or make-up examinations after the close of the teaching term (i.e. after the end of reading week). Without WRITTEN permission from me, you will not to be able to postpone a final examination or any other end-of-term project, or regular course work due late in the term itself, regardless of whether the instructor has given you permission.
If, after reading the above information, you believe that you have grounds for requesting a Dean’s Excuse, please be in touch with Dean Francis and CC-Terry on your message. Please also complete this form to request the Dean’s Excuse.
- Yale College Calendar with Pertinent Deadlines: http://catalog.yale.edu/ycps/calendar
- Yale College Programs of Study (Blue Book, which includes Academic Regulations): http://catalog.yale.edu/ycps
- Undergraduate Regulations (rules for conduct, etc.): http://yalecollege.yale.edu/content/undergraduate-regulations
- New Student Website: http://yalecollege.yale.edu/new-students/welcome-yale
- Sophomore website (lots of good information no matter your class year): www.yale.edu/sophomore
- Advising Resources or First-Years and Sophomores: http://advising.yalecollege.yale.edu/
- Center for International and Professional Experience (summer or post-graduation plans): http://cipe.yalecollege.yale.edu
- Office of Career Strategy: http://ucs.yalecollege.yale.edu
- Office of International Students: http://www.yale.edu/oiss